Terms & conditions
Twin Work and Volunteer terms and conditions - For all work, volunteer, internship, apprenticeship and gap year participants...
Terms and conditions
- Twin Work & Volunteer operates under the trading name WAVA Limited.
- The applicant certifies that the information given in the Application Form is correct and acknowledges that any false information may compromise their participation to the programme.
- The applicant declares that they are 18 yrs old on the start date of the programme
- The applicant declares that they have never been arrested or convicted of a criminal offence.
- The applicant declares that they speak good conversational English.
- The applicant must read carefully all the materials related to safety, health, and legal, environmental, political, cultural and religious customs and conditions of the hosting country provided by WAVA Limited and its affiliates.
- WAVA Limited strongly advises that no travel arrangements be made before a programme is confirmed.
- WAVA Limited shall not be responsible for or deemed to be in default by reason of delays in or failure of performance of this agreement due to causes beyond its reasonable control and not being limited to civil war, war between nations, insurrections, strikes, riots, fires, floods, explosions, earthquakes, serious accidents, any act of government, governmental priorities, allocations, regulations, or orders affecting materials or facilities, acts of God or the public enemy, failure of transportation, epidemics, quarantine restrictions, or labour trouble causing cessation, slowdown or interruption of work and failure of suppliers and sub-contractors to furnish labour or materials within their contractual delivery times.
- Participants who take part in Twin Work & Volunteer programmes are encouraged to entrust Twin Work & Volunteer with testimonials, photographs and/or videos of their experience overseas. Twin Work & Volunteer will only use these items on the Twin Work & Volunteer website to highlight the visited programmes and/or Twin Work & Volunteer's service. Twin Work & Volunteer will never use a participant's photographs, videos or testimonials for any other promotional purposes (advertising on other websites, leaflets, posters, or brochures) without first obtaining consent in writing from the participant. Please refer to our Visual Media Policy for information on how we handle visual media.
- For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, WAVA Limited is a data controller. WAVA Limited may need to transfer the personal data the participant provides us to our overseas partner. This is necessary in order to secure the placement or in order to protect your interests (for example in the case of a participant becoming ill, WAVA Limited may need to transfer any medical information provided on their application form to assist in any medical treatments they may require).
- By signing these Terms & Conditions, online applicants agree to receive occasional, timely, targeted newsletters about Twin Work & Volunteer programmes. These newsletters are accompanied with an unsubscribe link, which participants can use at any time if they so choose.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates are at times forced to make changes to services and reserve the right to do so. Changes will be minor and may only involve commencement of placement. If a significant change needs to be made, the applicant will be informed as soon as possible about the necessary changes prior to their departure and in case of a cancellation a full refund will be made. Please note that WAVA Limited will not be held responsible for any travel costs incurred.
- If an applicant wishes to change travel dates they must inform WAVA Limited of this change in writing (letter, email). WAVA Limited will endeavour to accommodate the change and will confirm the change to the applicant in writing. Changes may be subject to administration fees.
- Because of any language or cultural considerations, the participant cannot expect to command the same responsibilities that they may have had in their own country.
- If a participant begins their programme and decides it is unsuitable for their requirements, no fees paid will be refundable, although every effort will be made by WAVA Limited and its affiliate to find a suitable alternative programme with the time available. WAVA Limited will not be responsible for any additional travelling cost etc, which may be incurred in any such move.
- Occasionally due to operational difficulties, volunteering establishments may require participants to carry out other reasonable duties than those specified on the original volunteering description.
- Due to the nature of volunteering projects, accommodation arrangements may be changed to an alternative of equivalent quality to what is normally provided.
- The applicant agrees to remain flexible in terms of the hours required to work during the placement and the duties they are expected to perform.
- WAVA Limited cannot guarantee that their host families will conform to the applicant’s expectations of what a 'family' should constitute. The definition of a host family can cover a number of living situations, and will not necessarily epitomize a traditional nuclear family (specifically one father, mother and their children). Applicants are advised to contact their host families before their departure date to confirm that they are satisfied with the family arrangement.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates reserve the right to refuse any applicant who does not meet the programme eligibility requirements.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates reserve the right to request a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check from any participant for any programme. All documentation related to the CRB check will be held in accordance with the CRB Code of Conduct.
Health & Safety
- The applicant declares that they are in good health and require no specialised medical attention.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure they are fit to travel and to undertake any duties.
- All travels before, during and after the programme are at the participant’s own risk. Choosing to operate any motorized vehicles, obtaining the necessary license, permission and insurance will be responsibility of the participant.
- The participant undertakes to research the host country of their programme to educate themselves of any potential inherent risks associated with that country.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates cannot accept responsibility for the participant’s health & safety whilst in the hosting country or for any loss or damage to property or any third parties property or persons howsoever caused.
- Participants take part in all programmes at their own risk.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has a valid passport and obtains appropriate documentation for entry to the hosting country.
- Visa signposting offered by WAVA Limited and / or its affiliates is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate – for definitive information, the participant must contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates do not accept any liability for financial loss incurred by failure to have the correct travel documentation.
- The applicant agrees to submit all the requested documentation in a timely manner. WAVA Limited cannot be held responsible for any delay or additional cost caused by the participant’s failure to do so.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to obtain appropriate insurance to cover any eventuality that may occur throughout their programme (including repatriation, loss of property or personal injury or illness). Refunds are not given as a result of illness whilst participating on any programme.
- WAVA Limited has a partnership with Endsleigh Insurance Services Ltd and offers an insurance packaged especially tailored to the needs of our travellers. WAVA Limited strongly recommends that our travellers take out one of the three available insurance packages.
Conduct & Behaviour
- The applicant agrees to follow the rules and regulations of WAVA Limited, and its affiliates as well as those of the project while participating on the programme.
- The applicant agrees to act with maturity, flexibility, respect and adaptability in all aspects of the programme.
- The applicant agrees to participate in their host family lifestyle and respect the host family members at all times.
- During the programme, the participant will be representing their country and therefore every effort must be made by the participant to be a good ambassador for their country. Any behaviour likely to damage their image will lead to their instant expulsion from any programme without reimbursement of any fees.
- The participant must respect the rules of the establishment of the programme and act in a professional manner at all times. Excessively bad timekeeping or absenteeism could lead to the expulsion of the participant without reimbursement of any fees.
- WAVA Limited and its affiliates reserve the right to dismiss from the programme any participant who is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others or whose conduct is deemed to be detrimental to the programme. In the event of this case, WAVA Limited and its affiliates cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred by the participant.
- If during the programme the participant experiences problems, WAVA Limited suggest that they follow the following steps:
- try to resolve the issue themselves
- communicate the problem to the project supervisor/overseas partner and discuss the best solution
- contact WAVA Limited. All issues/complaints must be outlined in writing. In the case of a complaint please use the WAVA Limited complaints form
- Complaints must be in writing. We will confirm in writing that we have received your complaint within 5 working days. If we are required to investigate and contact the overseas partner then a full response will be received within 1 month of WAVA Limited receiving the complaint.
- No compensation shall be given to the participant, unless WAVA Limited deems the circumstances to be extreme. The participant agrees that under no circumstances shall WAVA Limited be liable for damages or compensation arising from any claim related to the assessment of inconvenience, disappointment, discomfort or loss of enjoyment.
- The applicant agrees to pay all fees in accordance with WAVA Limited and its affiliates’ requirements and to submit all the requested documentation in a timely manner. WAVA Limited cannot be held responsible for any delay or additional cost caused by the participant’s failure to do so.
- All fees are payable in GB Pound Sterling. All exchange rates are for information only to help you calculate costs in US Dollars or Euros.
- In case the applicant is due to pay any visa fees to enter the country where the programme is held, this payment won’t be part of the programme fee, unless clearly stated.
- Programme bookings with departure dates for the following calendar year are subject to a possible fee increase after booking, due to annual rises in local costs passed on by our in-country host organisations. We will advise of this as soon as we are informed by our local partner.
- Programme changes or departure changes will be subject to an administration fee of £50. Please check with WAVA Limited if you wish to amend your dates as further charges may be incurred. All changes to a booking must be put in writing to WAVA Limited.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- In the event that WAVA Limited or its affiliates are forced to withdraw or cancel a programme, a similar programme will be offered to the participant. In the event that the replacement programme is unsuitable, WAVA Limited will refund 100% of the fees paid by the participant, minus any costs incurred. The replacement programme may not be the same price as the original programme.
- If an online deposit payment is made for either a work or volunteer programme, one of our WAVA travel advisors will contact you to discuss your programme choice. If, during this initial consultation you decide that you do not wish to proceed with your booking, a full refund will be made. If at a later date you decide to cancel your booking, no refund will be made.
- In the event that a £150/£200 deposit has been paid, but the application for whatever reason has been unsuccessful within the given timeframe, the applicant is entitled to transfer the deposit to an alternative programme subject to eligibility, availability and or successful application.
- In the event that a deposit of £150/£200 has been paid and WAVA Limited is unable to offer a placement, WAVA Limited will refund the deposit minus any costs incurred.
- In the event that a deposit of £150/£200 has been paid and the participant chooses not to accept the placement, WAVA Limited reserves the right to retain the deposit.
- In the event that a placement has been offered by WAVA Limited or its affiliates and is accepted by the participant, and then the participant withdraws from the programme, the participant is liable for the full cost of the programme.
- The participant agrees to settle the full balance of the programme 8 weeks before departure.
- In the event that a participant withdraws from the programme the cancellation must be made in writing to WAVA Limited. The cancellation can be submitted by letter or email. Failure to submit the cancellation in writing may result in the refunded amount being affected.
- Cancellation is effective from the day WAVA Limited receive the cancellation in writing – not the day it is sent. Please note that cancellations received out of office hours will only be effective from the next working day. Please note that office hours are 9 am –5.30 pm Monday to Friday.
- In the event that you have changed the dates of your programme the cancellation period will be effective from the original programme start date, not the amended date.
- In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme more than 8 weeks before departure, WAVA Limited will refund 100% of the cost of the programme, minus £150/£200 deposit and any other costs incurred.
- In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme between 8 to 4 weeks before departure, WAVA Limited will refund 50% of the cost of the programme, minus £150/£200 deposit and any other costs incurred. In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme between 4 to 2 weeks before departure, WAVA Limited will refund 25% of the cost of the programme, minus £150/£200 deposit and any other costs incurred. In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme 14 days or less before departure no fees will be refunded.
- In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme less than 8 weeks prior to departure, but has not fully settled their account as agreed in point number six of Cancellations, the participant agrees to pay 50% of the cost of the programme, plus £150/£200 deposit and any other costs incurred. In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme between 4 to 2 weeks before departure, the participant agrees to pay 75% of the cost of the programme, plus £150/£200 deposit and any other costs incurred. In the event that a participant withdraws from a programme 14 days or less before departure no fees will be refunded. WAVA Limited reserves the right to debit said account without prior consent.
- In the event that a participant chooses to leave a programme early, whatsoever the reason, no fees will be refunded.