Internships, Work Abroad
Internships in France (with 4 week Language Course), France
Work in an unpaid Internship position within a French organisation, and gain valuable international work experience. Build on your professional skills and significantly improve your career prospects. An ideal gap year work programme.
Work in France and experience a career-boosting opportunity that provides you with an intense cultural exchange between yourself and your chosen company. This 'exchange' is not one-sided, it is a mutually beneficial relationship - your abilities and experiences will be just as valuable to the company, as the French internship is to you.
An internship in France is an aspiration for many people. Not only does it satisfy desires to live and work in France, in the bustling French city of Montpellier, but it also adds immense weight to the career prospects of people looking for a way to set their CV apart from the millions of people clamouring for the same jobs.
Our placements are mainly related to the Hospitality sector, where we offer internships in patisserie's, boulangeries, cafes, hotels, restaurants, chocolatiers and many more other hospitality related placements.
Please note: If you prefer to work in France for just a few hours each day (in order to explore more of the country), then you may want to consider our Language Assistant in France programme!
Your 4-week Language Course ...
One of the many advantages of this French Internship programme is the fact that all participants are requested to undergo a 4-week French language course before they actually begin their internship in France.
This language course is an integral part of the French work experience because it provides all interns (even those who already have a grasp of the French language) with the conversational tools they need to maximise their cultural immersion within their chosen company. The course is also a great way to meet other people living and working in Montpellier before the Internship begins.
- At the end of the language course, interns are given a certificate – with the number of hours completed and the level (European scale CEPR) achieved.
- What's included?
- Dates & duration
- Project life
- Flights & Visas
- A guaranteed job (internship) opportunity working in France
- Pre-departure information and advice about the French Internship
- In-country assistance and support during the Internship in France
- 24-hour emergency contacts
- In-country induction and training - includes a 4-week French Language Course!
What's NOT included?
- Sightseeing activities
- Monthly stipend
- Accommodation: Homestay or Private studio (only if requested - See 'Fees' section)
- Food (dependent on your chosen accommodation request)
Dates and duration
- The French Internship Placement: Participants can work in France for a minimum of 4 weeks - maximum 8 weeks
- The French Language Course: The minimum length of the French course is 4 weeks, however participants can choose to extend this to suit their needs. Maximum duration is 8 weeks. Starting dates are always on a Monday. You will be given an exact start date once your application for the Internship programme has been successful
- Minimum age: 18 years old
- Maximum age: 28 years old
- Minimum French level: A1 (Additional French language tuition might be required for very low levels)
The language school & WAVA's Interns ...
The language school (attached to this Internship in France programme) allows our Interns to maintain a ‘student’ status whilst working in France. It is an integral part of their French internship programme, and has proved an effective way for them to grasp life in Montpellier before their internship commences.
- The language school itself is very much catered towards helping its students find employment, and the language course centres on improving your ability to use French in real life situations. It is a standard French course that covers all four language skills – reading, speaking, writing and listening.
The language school is based in the heart of the historical centre of Montpellier just off the famous Place de le Comédie. The lessons take place in a beautiful 19th Century building that comprises of 14 classrooms spread across 3 floors.
The school strives to create a stimulating and effective learning environment for its students, and provides a range of amenities, that includes free internet and Wifi access, to communal areas for students, food and drink vending machines, computer rooms, and a reading and study area complete with books, DVDs, French textbooks and magazines.
- There is a team of staff at the school to assist in any matters throughout your stay. The school also has a jobs board with vacancy announcements (which is also a great way to hear about new internships).
- The school also caters for interns who already have a good level in French, so you can choose to do a less intensive course if you prefer.
- You will receive a French level test at the end of the course as well as at the end of your French internship.
- A standard course contains 20 lessons per week from Monday to Friday, every morning from 9:30 to 12:45 with a break from 11.00 to 11.15 (one lesson = 45 minutes)
- On Mondays classes start at 10.00, lasting until 13.15
- Group sizes 3/8 students maximum 10
All of our placements are related to the hospitality sector.
- Your duties as an intern will ultimately be determined by the sort of company that you’re placed in (see below for companies are participants have previously been placed in).
- It can be a part-time or full-time position, and depending on your skills (both language and professional) you may be given a significant level of responsibility, be asked to work independently or as part of a team assisting staff within the company. Each intern will have a manager responsible for his/her internship programme.
Please note: Your internship company is only assigned to you after your interview (which is held on your first day at the language school). The Internships are unpaid, but you may find that your company may contribute to your daily expenses.
The French Internships range from tourism, hotel & catering roles, working in local shops, cafes and so on. Here is a list of internships that have been given to some of our past participants on the Internships France programme:
|Name of Company:||Role as an intern:|
CAFE Salon de Thé Vente de produits autour du thé et café -COFFEE Tea Room Sale of products around the tea and coffeeInternship duties: Service et vente - Customer Service and Sales Assistant
|Pâtisserie Boulangerie LO MONACO||
Pâtisserie / Boulangerie traditionnelle - Cakes / Traditional BakeryInternship duties: Confection et fabrication - Manufacture and production of cakes
Accommodation and Food
Our Internship in France programme has a number of accommodation arrangements available for interns. These are obtained by our partner organisation in France, who will endeavour to ensure that your accommodation is always within 5 minutes (walk) to 20 minutes (by public transportation) away from your internship.
1. Host Family - Living with a host family in France is a fantastic way for interns to improve their French speaking ability and discover the French culture. We’re offering two types of host family accommodation for the duration of your work placement in France:
- Individual room with half-board (i.e. breakfast and dinner)
- Individual room with kitchen access
2. Private Studio - In this accommodation, food is not included. Please note, that due to the popularity of this type of accommodation we strongly recommend that you book this well in advance.
Other accommodation options ...
Whilst we only offer the above two accommodation options for your internship in France, this list is not exhaustive: our partner organisation in France also offers a range of other living arrangements for interns - these include Bed & breakfasts, hotels, studios in student residences, and spare rooms in various residences. You’re free to seek your own alternative living arrangements during your Internship in France if you require.
Please note: The sooner you book your accommodation, the more likely we’ll be able to cater for your accommodation requirements whilst working in France.
Flights, Transportation & Visas
- Airport: Montpellier International Airport
- If you haven’t arranged for an airport collection from your host family, you can use a shuttle bus, which runs a 24-hour service from the airport to the central bus station located near the language school.
- Transport in Montpellier includes a bus service, taxis, tramway and train station. Montpellier is not a big city so during your internship it is easy to walk from most places within it.
CIBT Visa advice...
For expert visa advice we advise our volunteer, work placement, and internship participants to get in touch with CIBT - a company that we work in partnership with. Our UK, Canadian, and US travellers can use CIBT for visa advice and to get their visa applications processed - with visas returned within a week.
Safety & Insurance
All of Twin Work & Volunteer's placements are in partnership with recognised and established local organisations, run by or employing local people. These organisations, depending on the nature of what they do, might be small-scale NGOs, family projects, schools or orphanages, or local initiatives with environmental or social goals.
- We often use local businesses to provide logistical and support services to volunteers such as transfers, pick-ups, accommodation and so on. In this way, we support the local economy through helping independent local businesses to thrive. We take our partnerships very seriously and work extremely closely with all our partners.
- We provide 24-hour emergency support from the UK and our partners provide support locally.
- We have an agreement with the crisis management service Tranquillico, should the very worst situations arise.
- If any wider safety concerns arise in the destination, such as civil disturbances or natural disasters, we seek advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO)and implement their recommendations where appropriate.
Comprehensive insurance is available for all programmes. You have no obligation to take up insurance with any of these companies, but insurance of a suitable sort is mandatory on all our programmes.
Book Now > Make an enquiry >
You may also like
Language Assistant France, Montpellier
Immerse yourself in the beautiful French city of Montpellier, whilst learning French in an award winning language school and teaching English to your host family. Great for a gap year or career break.
UK Professional Internships, London
Enrol onto our award-winning internship programme and kick-start your career in one of the most exciting cities in the world. <p><strong>Now available to non-EEA citizens with a BUNAC Tier 5 Visa. Check the eligibility section to find out more.</strong></p>
Business Administration Internship, London
Our Business Administration Internship is a great opportunity for EU citizens to come to the UK and experience working life in a business environment. All placements are available in London, so you will benefit from working in one of the world’s busiest cities.
Customer Service Internship, London and Eastbourne
For EU citizens wanting to practise their English and carry out valuable work experience in the UK, our Customer Service Internship is perfect. With positions available in London and Eastbourne, you can choose whether you want to stay in the bustling city or a traditional seaside town.
Erasmus+, Seville, Valencia, Lisbon, Dublin
Embark on the opportunity of a life-time with our fully-funded Erasmus+ programme available in three European capitals! Plus you can gain a Level 3 qualification. If you have previous experience or qualifications in Digital Marketing, Hospitality or Teaching English as a Foreign Language and you need work experience to enhance your CV and future career, this programme could be for you
Language Assistant Spain, Spain
Spend weeks or up to a year living with a Spanish family & teaching them English. A superb cultural immersion for Gap Year students looking for an enriching travel experience.
Language Assistant Italy, Multiple Locations
On this programme you can spend between 4 weeks up to 3 months living with a welcoming Italian host family. A fantastic cultural immersion and an enriching travel experience, this programme provides a perfect platform to improve your Italian language ability.