Paid Work, Work Abroad
Working Guest Programme, Norway
Live and work in Norway - the land of the midnight sun. Witness the beautiful Northern Lights and absorb the natural beauty of this stunning Scandinavian country. Perfect as a Gap Year or a career break abroad. Please note, this programme is only available to British and Irish citizens.
Work in Norway on farms or in the tourism industry and get to see and experience Norway from the inside.
Take part in the Working Guest Norway programme and choose between:
- Working Guest in agriculture, typical jobs include picking fruit, harvesting, taking care of animals, milking, etc. This programme is open to applicants of all nationalities.
- Working Guest in tourism, typical jobs include housekeeping, cook, waiter or receptionist, etc.
- In return for working approximately 35 hours per week (with one and a half days off per week), you'll receive your accommodation and food and you'll receive weekly pocket money of 1000 Norwegian Krona (approx £110 GBP).
- As your application is distributed to those who have requested a Working Guest - we'll work closely with you to ensure that your application is positive and has the best chance of receiving offers from host families.
In addition to the numerous agricultural and tourism roles, volunteers can now work in:
- Riding Schools
- Café's in Lofoten
- What's included?
- Dates & duration
- Project life
- Flights & Visas
- Pre-departure information and advice
- In-country assistance and support
- 24-hour emergency contacts
- In-country induction or training
- Monthly stipend
- Accommodation: homestay
- Food: all meals included during work days and provided by host family
What's NOT included?
- Travel Insurance
- Sightseeing activities
Dates and duration
- You are welcome to join the programme throughout the year.
- The duration of this project ranges from 8-16 weeks, with the possibility of adding 1 or 2 month extensions to your booking.
- Inevitably, there is a peak period around spring and summer when tourism businesses and farms have a greater need for working guests; however there are there also plenty of opportunities during the winter months with agricultural positions..
- As it the host family that provides the work placement, the sooner we receive your application, the sooner we can start looking for that ideal placement for you.
- We recommend that you are as flexible with your start dates as this allows us to distribute your application to more host families.
Working Guest in agriculture: Twin is registered as only a sending organisation for British citizens.
Working Guest in tourism: Twin is registered as only a sending organisation for British citizens.
- Additionally all participants must:
- Speak English fluently
- Be motivated to stay in a Norwegian family and be willing to adapt themselves into their way of life
- Be prepared to perform various tasks proposed by the hosts
- Have agricultural experience (only for farms)
Once you are registered on the programme, the local team in Norway will begin the search to match you with a developing family business in tourism, hospitality or agriculture - be that in a hotel, restaurant, tourism business or farm. It is important that Working Guest participants be open-minded to their possible locations within Norway - whilst many families may not be based in particularly large towns or cities, many rural locations in Norway are able to offer participants a unique insight into the fascinating and dynamic Norwegian culture.
Accommodation and Food
- As a Working Guest in agriculture you will live with your host family. Expect to be sharing the kitchen, living room and bathroom with your host family.
- As a Working Guest in tourism you may live with your employer but most likely you will be given a separate lodgings with others co-workers.
- Meals are normally taken with your host family, employers and / or your co-workers. If meals are not provided you will receive extra payment to cover the cost of food.
- Full details of the accommodation and food arrangements will be provided with the placement offer.
Flights, Transportation & Visas
- International flights and travel to your host family are not included, however, your host will offer guidelines on the cheapest and most effective way to travel to their home.
- There is generally an efficient and regular public transport system across Norway allowing you to explore the local area with your time off.
- Please do not book your flights until you have your placement confirmation.
CIBT Visa advice...
For expert visa advice we advise our volunteer, work placement, and internship participants to get in touch with CIBT - a company that we work in partnership with. Our UK, Canadian, and US travellers can use CIBT for visa advice and to get their visa applications processed - with visas returned within a week.
Safety & Insurance
All of Twin Work & Volunteer's placements are in partnership with recognised and established local organisations, run by or employing local people. These organisations, depending on the nature of what they do, might be small-scale NGOs, family projects, schools or orphanages, or local initiatives with environmental or social goals.
- We often use local businesses to provide logistical and support services to volunteers such as transfers, pick-ups, accommodation and so on. In this way, we support the local economy through helping independent local businesses to thrive. We take our partnerships very seriously and work extremely closely with all our partners.
- We provide 24-hour emergency support from the UK and our partners provides support locally.
- We have an agreement with the crisis management service Tranquillico, should the very worst situations arise.
- If any wider safety concerns arise in the destination, such as civil disturbances or natural disasters, we seek advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and implement their recommendations where appropriate.
Comprehensive insurance is available for all programmes. You have no obligation to take up insurance with any of these companies, but insurance of a suitable sort is mandatory on all our programmes.
Book Now > Make an enquiry >
You may also like
Hospitality Training Programme, UK
Are you looking to come to the UK to improve your English, as well as attend an optional paid work experience placement in the hospitality sector? If so, this programme is perfect for you, as you would receive access to an online English learning platform as well as an optional paid hospitality job.
Hospitality Work Experience Italy too, Italy
Enrol on a paid work experience in the tourism sector in Italy. Be placed in a range of jobs within Italy's hotels, restaurants & bars. Discover this vibrant country and perfect your Italian language skills.
Hospitality Work Experience Spain too, Spain
Take part in paid work experience in Spain. Work in hotel, bars & restaurants in diverse regions across Spain and embark on an invaluable work experience opportunity that will provide you with an array of skills. *Please note, to be eligible for this programme you must be currently studying at university, and be an EU citizen.