Paid Work, Work Abroad
Hospitality Training Programme, UK
Are you looking to come to the UK to improve your English, as well as attend an optional paid work experience placement in the hospitality sector? If so, this programme is perfect for you, as you would receive access to an online English learning platform as well as an optional paid hospitality job.
The Hospitality Training Programme in the UK provides fantastic opportunities to anyone looking for a paid work placement as well as the opportunity to improve their English in a professional Hospitality environment. The UK has a huge shortfall of labour in the hospitality sector, especially in the more rural, naturally beautiful locations such as:
- Coastal Wales
- The Shetland Islands
- The Lake District
- The Scottish Highlands
We do not offer any placements in city locations, therefore if you were to join this programme you should expect to be placed in a rural touristic location.
This programme combines online English lessons, suited to someone looking to improve their English, with a paid work experience in the hospitality sector. There is also one week of free General English tuition at our school in London which can take place before or after the placement.
If you are a Non-European Union citizen, to be eligible for our Hospitality Training Programme you will need to have the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, which will cover you to live, work and travel in the UK for up to two years. You can apply for this visa here on the Gov UK website.
- What's included?
- Dates & duration
- Project life
- Flights & Visas
- Twin e-Learning access from time of booking until three months after you have completed the programme
- Paid work experience of 6-12 months (optional)
- Multilingual student placement team
- Letter of Reference (on completion of work placement)
- Twin Certificate of Achievement (on completion of work placement)
- Arrangement of your accommodation at the host organisation, but rent is still required to be paid (usually ranging from £40-£80 per week)
- One week of free General English tuition (this can take place before or after the placement)
What’s NOT included?
- Flights (or any transit costs)
Dates and duration
You can start the Hospitality Training Programme at any time of year. Please speak with your travel advisor for details.
- Age 18+ (Maximum recommended age: 35)
- EU Nationals or Holders of Appropriate Visas only
- Must feel comfortable in English-speaking environment
- Placements based on skills, training, personality and dates of availability
- Some vacancies may require specific qualifications or experience
All candidates on the HTP programme will be paid UK minimum wage (at least £5.30 per hour if you are 18-20, or £6.70 per hour if you are 21 or over) and positions will be given based on your level of experience.
If you have no experience in the hopitality industry, positions can include:
- Waiting Staff
- Bar Staff
- Kitchen Porter
- General Assistant
- Back of House
If you have a good level of English and some experience in hospitality, positions can include:
Helping your career…
You will be carefully matched with a position suited to you and your level of English. At work you'll be able to practise speaking every day, so you will learn more than if you completed Twin’s e-Learning Programme alone. The work placement also provides a great starting point for your career in hospitality.
English Course: Twin e-Learning
- Unique distance-learning experience
- Adapts to suit an individual learner’s skill
- 45 lessons available of around 50 minutes each
- Access from time of booking until three months after completion of the HTP
- Videos specific to the hospitality industry
Accommodation and Food
During the work experience placement, the majority of students will be accommodated by their employers, usually in the hotel’s staff housing.
This housing is subsidised by your employer, and will usually cost £40 to £80 per week depending on your location.
The provision of food is dependent on your employer; some employers will provide all meals throughout the week and weekend, others will provide meals during working days; however, any food you are required to pay for should have a capped price. Accommodation facilities vary; you may have access to a kitchen, Wi-Fi and either a shared or en suite bathroom.
Flights, Transportation & Visas
- Flights are not included
- Most EU citizens will not require a visa to take part in the Hospitality Training Programme
- Non-EU citizens will require a visa to take part; visa conditions vary depending on where you are travelling from, so please contact your travel adviser for information
Safety & Insurance
- All participants are required to travel with insurance and an EHIC.
- We provide 24-hour emergency support from the UK and our partners provide support locally.
- If any wider safety concerns arise in the destination, such as civil disturbances or natural disasters, we seek advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and implement their recommendations where appropriate.
Book Now > Make an enquiry >
You may also like
Hospitality Work Experience Italy too, Italy
Enrol on a paid work experience in the tourism sector in Italy. Be placed in a range of jobs within Italy's hotels, restaurants & bars. Discover this vibrant country and perfect your Italian language skills.
Working Guest Programme, Norway
Live and work in Norway - the land of the midnight sun. Witness the beautiful Northern Lights and absorb the natural beauty of this stunning Scandinavian country. Perfect as a Gap Year or a career break abroad. Please note, this programme is only available to British and Irish citizens.